Indianapolis Shooting: At Least 8 Killed at FedEx Warehouse, Police Say

8 people were killed at a FedEx warehouse, the police said.,


Continue reading the main story

At least eight people died in a shooting at a FedEx warehouse in Indianapolis late Thursday, and the gunman was believed to have taken his own life, the police said.

Here’s what we know about the shooting so far.

Officer Genae Cook of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department told reporters that the police had arrived at the scene just after 11 p.m., responding to a report that shots had been fired. They encountered an “active shooter incident,” and there were “multiple people with injuries consistent with gunshot wounds,” she said.

Later Friday morning, she said that eight people had been killed, not including the gunman, who was believed to have died by suicide.

Survivors had been “transported to various hospitals throughout the area,” Officer Cook said.

The FedEx warehouse where the shooting occurred is on the city’s southwest side, near the airport. The highway exit was blocked off by law enforcement vehicles.

The New York Times

Officer Cook asked people who had been unable to make contact with family members who work at FedEx to gather at a Holiday Inn Express about a mile from the warehouse, adding that representatives of the chaplain’s office of the police department would be there to assist them.

At about 2:45 a.m. on Friday, the mood was somber at the hotel, where about 110 people anxiously waited for news. FedEx employees are not allowed to use their phones on the floor of the warehouse, so those gathered had not heard from their loved ones.

A reporter with WRTV, an Indianapolis station, posted an interview on Twitter with a man who said he had been at the facility when the shooting broke out and later saw a body on the floor.

WISH, another local station, quoted an employee at the warehouse, Jeremiah Miller, as saying that he had heard up to 10 shots after finishing his shift.

“This made me stand up and actually look out the entrance door, and I saw a man with a submachine gun of some sort, an automatic rifle, and he was firing in the open,” Mr. Miller told the station. “I immediately ducked down and got scared and my friend’s mother, she came in and told us to get inside the car.”

Courtney Crown, a reporter with a Fox News affiliate in Indianapolis, posted another interview with a man who said his niece had been hospitalized after being shot in the left arm when the shooting broke out.

Sarah Bahr reported from Indianapolis, and Mike Ives from Hong Kong. Derrick Bryson Taylor contributed reporting from London.

Leave a Reply